Integrated Specialty Pharmacies in Health Systems
Specialty pharmacies play an important role in helping patients manage complex diseases. From high touch counseling to navigating potential insurance barriers, world-class specialty pharmacies require the clinical knowledge, expertise and infrastructure in order to deliver the best possible patient satisfaction and outcomes. The result of these outcomes can drive higher quality and lower health care costs even for the most complex patients. Cornerstone helps fund, build, and operate integrated specialty pharmacy programs that deliver world-class clinical outcomes.
Proven Partnership Model
The Cornerstone model brings the expertise of a specialty pharmacy developer right to your doorstep. Our expertise comes directly from building specialty pharmacy programs for over 7 healthcare organizations across Massachusetts. The Cornerstone team helped build our most famous success story at Boston Medical Center, developing a small specialty program into a $300M world-class specialty pharmacy serving over 400,000 covered lives in Massachusetts.
Results from a Proven Approach
Proven ability to deliver rapid financial result
- Our team has built a best-in-class pharmacy program with retail, specialty and ambulatory capabilities
- Revenues grew from our partners $0 to $100 million in less than 24 months, and over $300 million today.
Focus on clinical outcomes
- Our unique focus on clinical outcomes versus process metrics allows us to more actively engage providers and systems that we serve and deliver superior bottom-line results
Service models that target a broader definition of specialty
- Our universe includes additional high-cost drugs for complex conditions beyond conventional PBM definition of specialty and limited distribution drugs not available to others in the market
- We apply our high-touch service mindset to “specialty-lite” drugs linked to conditions that cause high utilization
How does Cornerstone work with hospitals and health systems in developing consulting pharmacy services?
- We build or accelerate hospital owned and integrated world-class specialty pharmacies,
- We partner with hospital and pharmacy leaders on development of specialty pharmacy, building capabilities for our partner systems,
- We deploy and extend Cornerstone’s unique model and infrastructure that attracts, satisfies, and creates patient loyalty
- We extend our years of specialty pharmacy and health system experience, unlocking true value for our partners versus “borrowing” access to drugs
All of which comes at no risk to our partners as we fund your startup and expansion costs.
Accelerating your Specialty Pharmacy Program
We hire, train and embed the best on the ground in-clinic pharmacy support within your hospital clinics
- Clinical pharmacists
- Pharmacy liaisons
- Care coordinators
- Management success teams
We provide the back end and front end infrastructure needed to successfully support world-class specialty pharmacy programs
- Patient support center that helps navigate financial barriers, adherence, and access support, as well as clinical counseling for patients, 24x7.
- Real time, integrated analytics software on patients, prescriptions, financial detail, and clinical reporting.
- A dedicated nationally recognized mail order and specialty pharmacy that can support on-site pharmacies and provide deliveries.
- Years of expertise in unlocking access to limited distribution drugs (LDDs) and payers for your specialty pharmacy.
Cornerstone focuses on developing a world class consulting program for the benefit of patients, providers and the health system as a whole.
- Improved patient access to medications with significant barriers in coverage or availability
- Flexible and convenient delivery options for patients, ranging from in-clinic pickup to home delivery
- Higher adherence to medication and treatment plans results in better outcomes.
- Integrated resources directly in clinic to provide prompt patient and provider support.
- Maximizing value from specialty programs with expertise in the 340B program
- Establishing funds for pharmacy services for the most vulnerable patients
- Development of owned infrastructure with reduced costs and no disruption to existing relationships.
Our pharmacy care model creates strong adherence and clinical outcomes for patients. Typical specialty pharmacies measure success through basic measures, but we go further to drive greater results for patients in our program
95% vs. 60%1
Medication adherence (PDC)
SVR12 of Hep C treated patients
2 vs. 212
Prior authorization turnaround time (days)
80% vs 33%3
HIV viral load suppression
Patient assistance dollars secure
76% vs 50%3
CML molecular response rate in oncology